Youth Ministry Lead (Full Time) – Castro Valley, CA
Job Type: Full-Time
Denomination: Presbyterian Church (USA)
FirstPres Hayward strives to be a multicultural, multi-lingual, multigenerational community that lives out the radical mission of Jesus in the Eden neighborhood and beyond. We have on-site child care, are located adjacent to a great local coffee shop and a Trader Joe’s, but we’re more than just “the church behind the Trader Joe’s.” Our 0-18 faith formation is child and youth-centered, based on the belief that children are born full spiritual beings and loved unconditionally by a God who does not make mistakes. As church leadership, we have the opportunity and honor of meeting children and youth where they are, guiding, witnessing, affirming, and prioritizing relational growth over any other outcome. As a larger church community, we also run a community garden, a food pantry, two shelters for our unhoused neighbors, a Recovery Cafe and daytime resource centers that connect people to services, a historic local theatre and an artists collective. We worship in English and Spanish. It is sometimes said: we are not a worshipping community with a mission, but we are a missional community who worships.
Join our diverse, inclusive, youth-centered ministry. If you like working on a team, have heard or are curious about the term “adult supremacy,” believe relationships > results, like planning events, food is your love language or like attending middle and high school sports and concerts, then this might be the job for you!
First Presbyterian Church of Hayward
2490 Grove Way, Castro Valley, CA 94546
Youth Ministry Lead
Status: Full Time (30 hours), Exempt
Reports To: Children and Youth Ministries Director
About: FirstPres Hayward strives to be a multicultural, multi-lingual, multigenerational community that lives out the radical mission of Jesus in the Eden neighborhood and beyond. Guided by our core beliefs and a commitment to anti-racist practices, we seek to fulfill our mission by serving our community through our four areas of ministry: Community Outreach (homeless shelters, food pantry, recovery ministries, and more), Community Life (congregational ministry engagement), HGG Daycare Center, and The Chabot Theater.
Description: First Presbyterian Church of Hayward is seeking an energetic, enthusiastic, and creative individual to serve as Youth Ministry Lead who will connect with students (6th- 12th grade), supporting them in their lives inside and outside of the church as they navigate adolescence, equipping them with a spiritual foundation through:
- Developing and maintaining personal relationships with youth and their families
- Guiding, teaching, and mentoring youth
- Activities and events
- Lead and coordinate, in partnership with the Director of Children and Family Ministries all Middle School and High School activities – Weekly Meetings, Sunday Worship, Summer Camps, Retreats, Leader Training, etc.
- Attend all Youth Nights and Sunday Services.
- Build mentoring and discipling relationships with students.
- Coordinate and develop with volunteers to strengthen the Middle School and High School Ministries.
- Contribute and collaborate with other staff who are part of Children, Youth and Family Ministries.
- Communicate regularly with students and parents.
- Keep a regular social media presence for communication with students (including but not limited to Instagram and slack)
- Work with various ministry teams and departments as available to help grow their existing work.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Possess a heart for the under-resourced members of our community, and young people (children and youth)
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity in every way, including the inclusion of LGBTQ peoples, and anti-racist practices
- Previous experience with youth
- Be able to work well with both adults and teens
- College Degree or commensurate educational experience
- Previous educational units in child/adolescent development, education/teaching, youth ministry or commensurate experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Workspace, database management
- Social media literacy
- Graphic design (Canva or other)
- Spanish Bilingual preferred
- Valid driver’s license and insurance required
- Be a person of Christian commitment with an understanding of and an appreciation for the beliefs and practices of the Presbyterian Church (USA)
- Flexibility to an ever-evolving organization and group of individuals served
- Motivated to continue to learn and grow
- Desire to work on and with a team