Director of Youth Ministry – The Church of the Holy Spirit
The Church of the Holy Spirit - Lake Forest, IL
Job Type: Full-Time
Welcome to The Church of the Holy Spirit! We have been expecting you and are so glad you have decided to join us. You will find that we are a faith community that is faithful to Scripture and to the Anglican tradition, which is reflected in our beautiful worship services. We are committed to the promise that if you come here, you will grow.
We want to make it easy for you to get more acquainted with life in the parish. Throughout the year there will be frequent opportunities for you to meet new people and to learn more about CHS and our role in the broader community. Particularly, we invite you to join us for coffee and conversation each Sunday morning immediately following the 10:00 a.m. service in the Parish Hall.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 847.234.7633.
Overview: The director of youth ministry for the Church of the Holy Spirit oversees a ministry that seeks to serve seventh through twelfth-grade students as they take steps toward deeper maturity in Christ through formation, confirmation, fellowship, and mission work. The scope of leadership includes:
- Create a culture where volunteers love to serve by recruiting, coaching, equipping, and empowering volunteers.
- Implement creative training and connection opportunities for volunteers through regularly scheduled gatherings, individual connections, and regular written communication.
- Cultivate a safe and welcoming environment promoting consistent relational connections between students and with students and their volunteer leaders.
- Grow relational connections with students and families through presence at student events, encouraging volunteer leaders to do likewise.Strategic Leadership
- Establish relevant ministry programming that engages a growing number of junior and senior high students weekly.
- Recruit, train, and support volunteers, and provide curriculum for Sunday school and formation for all youth.
- Plan and promote all major events and weekly programming in such a way that the targeted number of youth participate.
- Troubleshoot problems in the youth ministry in a way that honors the concerns of those who brought them, and offers timely, creative solutions.
- Renew the “work trip” tradition of the Church of the Holy Spirit by planning, recruiting, and leading mission trips and outreach throughout the region, the country, and beyond.Operational Leadership
- Ensure all youth ministry volunteers engage in a consistent application and onboarding process, ensuring appropriate background and safety checks, pre-service training, and ongoing training to maximize their effectiveness in discipling youth.
- Create systems to maintain and update student and volunteer databases, event calendars, church website, registration forms, and compliance documents.
- Ensure systems are in place and followed to execute administrative details, including publicity, communications, documentation and record keeping, safety compliance, and budgeting.
- Create, submit, and adhere to an annual youth ministry budget.
- Ensure a relevant and vibrant confirmation program for 7th and 8th-grade students. Choose, edit, and facilitate the curriculum, train and support mentors, schedule teachers, promote the program, and ensure a memorable celebration.
- Work collaboratively with staff, volunteers, lay leadership, and parents to execute effective programming and meet agreed-upon goals.
- Communicate with parents, both in writing and in person, leaving the avenues of communication open for parent’s concerns and suggestions to be brought to the table.
- Communicate with the church staff, particularly the Senior Pastor, in such a way that they are informed and enthusiastically supportive of the priorities and programs of the youth ministry.Qualifications:
- BA or higher
- Demonstrated ease in connecting with youth, parents, and others.
- Moderate mainline theologically, able to wisely navigate multiple viewpoints within thechurch with discretion and grace
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage and meet multiple deadlines
- Proven experience building, training, and leading a team of volunteer leaders
- Outreach oriented
- Personal spiritual depth and a strong sense of calling to serve youth, parents, andvolunteersOther Specifications:
- Reports to: Rector
- Collaborates with:
- Associate Rectors
- Senior Director of Children’s MInistry
- Work Schedule: Typical schedule is Sunday through Thursday, with some evenings andearly mornings required, 40 hours/week.
- Working Conditions: Due to seasonal activity, job duties may often require additional hours and availability outside normal working hours. May require flexibility to adjust work schedule from time to time to work early or later thanregular schedule.
- Compensation: Competitive $55,000-60,000; Dependent on experience.
- Benefits: Full package, including health, life, vacation, sick leave and professional development