Director of Youth Ministry — Bethel United Methodist Church
Bethel United Methodist Church - Charleston, SC
Job Type: Full-Time
Denomination: United Methodist
Located in Charleston’s historic district, Bethel UMC has been situated at the corner of Calhoun and Pitt Streets since 1797 and is distinguished as a National Historic Landmark.
Bethel United Methodist Church is a thriving, open, faith community. It is here that we gather for inspiration, fellowship, and guidance in the meaning of Christian discipleship. It is from here that we go out to share God’s love in various ways in our homes, places of work, local community, and throughout the world.
Warm and inviting, Bethel UMC is located in the heart of downtown Charleston, South Carolina. Hospitality is a hallmark of our congregation and we welcome all to worship with us. Our multi-generational membership offers unique opportunities to learn and share with others of faith. Bethel UMC’s history is rich and we continue to create new inspiring traditions.
Our Mission: Sharing God’s Love
Our Vision: In response to God’s love, we welcome all people and care for all Creation. Guided by the Holy Spirit, we reflect the light of Christ as we worship and celebrate, teach and learn, witness and serve. As a church, we embrace our diverse community as a gift from God.
Purpose: The Director of Youth Ministry shall support the church’s mission to “make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world” by fostering a community of love, learning, support and service among youth (grades 6th – 12th) and their families.
Position: This is a full-time position with variant hours which include evenings and weekends. The Director of Youth Ministry reports to the Senior Pastor and is ultimately accountable to the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
- A Christian committed to growing spiritually, personally and professionally in the context of the United Methodist Church.
- A Bachelor’s degree
- Proven experience in leadership with young people.
- Skills and experience in the following: communication and organizational skills, ability to equip and empower volunteers, strong relational skills, a team player that values collaboration.
Primary Job Focus
Develop and implement a comprehensive ministry plan for youth (6th – 12th grades) and their families that cultivates a deepening faith in Christ, a community of belonging and welcome, and ways to practice the ways of Jesus in service to others.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Develop relationships with youth and their families, supporting and inspiring them in their life of faith and commitment to Christ. This should be done on and off the Bethel UMC campus.
- Develop youth leadership through a Youth Council (UMFY officers, SS representatives and adult counselors) that helps to shape and plan various year round activities, retreats and events.
- Develop, equip and supervise volunteers to work collaboratively with youth.
- Work with volunteers and parents to coordinate Youth Sunday School opportunities that nurture faith and friendship.
- Work with volunteers and youth to plan weekly UMYF programs.
- Equip youth for mission and service in the church and community. Cultivate and participate in Salkehatchie Summer Service (scmyp.org Salkehatchie)
- Attend weekly worship and cultivate youth leadership in the worship life of the church (music, crucifer, lay reader, ushering, etc.)
- Support intergenerational opportunities within the life of Bethel (VBS, Gather Together church-wide dinners, etc.)
- Submit annual budget requests and manage the Church Council approved youth budget.
- Assist the Senior Pastor in the Confirmation experience.
- Maintain accurate and up to date roster of youth by grade levels from both member and non-member families and manage social media as a means of inviting, welcoming and connecting all.
- Ensure that the Bethel UMC Safe Sanctuary Policy is followed for all youth ministry activities and events.
- Participate in various continuing education events in the area of youth ministry, in consultation with the Senior Pastor.
- Attend various church committee meetings pertaining to youth and education.
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
- Contact: Neal Shelley
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (843) 340-1842
- Address: 57 Pitt St, Charleston, South Carolina 29401,