Job Type: Full-Time Posted: 5 days ago Denomination: United Methodist
We specifically believe God has called First Church to SEEK, LOVE, & SERVE at the urban core of Downtown Orlando. First Church is uniquely, centrally placed at the intersections of government, the arts, commerce, education, and culture. The cross in our logo also resembles the points of a compass, with arrow points directing us outward toward our neighbors. We believe our calling is to SEEK, LOVE & SERVE, as we intersect and engage each unique element of the Downtown community.
We celebrate the wonderful gift of diversity of our downtown community and world. We affirm that all people are created in the image of God and all are worthy of God’s love and grace and community. We welcome and affirm the diversity of people of every sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ethnicity, national origin, immigration status, age, faith history, marital status, physical ability, cognitive ability, socioeconomic status and all who have been marginalized. We are better together! You are welcome here.
We are looking for a passionate, inclusive spiritual leader to lead our Youth Ministry into the future.
Average Attendance: 400 No. of Active Youth: 40
Position Title: Director of Youth Ministries
Ministry Area: Discipleship
Reports To: Executive Pastor
Status: Ministerial; Full-Time; Exempt
Seek out youth in the church and surrounding community to share the love of God with them through engaging programs that meet the developmental needs and interests of the youth. Surround the youth with loving and caring adults who will mentor the youth. Equip and encourage youth and their parents to learn to seek and love God, love and serve people. Bring people from diverse generations together, to acknowledge the gifts and skills that each bring, and ensure that all ages are invited and included into the life of the congregation.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with special needs to perform the essential functions.
– Work with pastors, ministry staff, youth volunteers, and CORE (Youth Council) to create, plan, and oversee developmentally and theologically appropriate opportunities for youth of all ages and abilities.
– Develop and lead weekly spiritual formation opportunities for youth (i.e. Youth Group, etc.).
– Plan and oversee seasonal spiritual formation programs and milestone celebrations for youth (i.e. Mission Trips, summer camp, Confirmation, retreats, Senior Recognition, etc.).
– Recruit, empower, and train volunteers to adhere to the Children and Youth Policies and Procedures while developing and adapting educational opportunities that promote a lifestyle of discipleship
– Empower youth to undertake leadership roles at First Church.
– Create new ministry opportunities that minister to the whole family as well as across generations.
– Partner with parents to ensure youth continue to seek and love God, love and serve people throughout their lives.
– Create processes that enable smooth transitions of ministry through various life stages (Confirmation, Graduation, etc.).
– Ensure all First Church programs and events adhere to the Children and Youth Policies and Procedures of First Church.
– Coordinate and work with volunteers and Youth CORE team.
– Demonstrate healthy and effective teamwork with pastors and staff.
– Work with pastors to evaluate youth ministries with input from relevant people.
– Work with the pastoral staff and worship planning team to create opportunities that incorporate and engage youth in worship services.
– Oversee the Youth Ministry budget with input from relevant people.
– Assist pastors and congregational care ministers to respond to pastoral care needs of youth and their families.
– Attend and participate in staff and other meetings.
– Create an environment conducive to positive interaction with pastors, staff members, lay leadership, church members, and the community.
– Attend First Church Scholarship Committee meetings as a non-voting member. Assist Scholarship Committee in reaching out to students.
– Work with the Director of Communications to communicate clearly and often with youth, parents, volunteers, First Church, and the community about opportunities in First Church’s Youth Ministry.
– Enthusiastically inform pastors, staff, members of First Church about the Youth Ministries.
– Ask for help when needed.
– Promote, communicate, and embody the vision, mission, and core values of First Church.
Education and/or Experience:
– Bachelor’s degree from four-year College or University and two years of related ministerial experience.
– Embodies and lives the Christian faith. Deeply committed to personal spiritual growth.
– Passionately desires to share and develop the Christian faith with youth and families.
– Working knowledge of internet tools including social media, spreadsheets, and word processing software.
– Strong commitment to Christian faith and theology of The United Methodist Church. Familiarity with the United Methodist Church structure and Wesleyan theology.
– Must be adaptable, innovative, cooperative, and communicative.
– Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from other staff, lay leadership, children, parents, and the community.
– Ability to solve practical problems and effectively cope with the challenges that may arise from working with a variety of people in a church setting.
– Must be able to multitask, organize, and delegate.
– Must be able to work independently and with a team.
– Must pass a background, fingerprint, and reference check.
– Ability to occasionally lift 25 lbs or more.
Salary Range: $40,000-$44,000