Job Type: Full-Time Posted: 2 months ago Denomination: Presbyterian (PCUSA)
Our Church and Community
First United Presbyterian Church is a vital, Christ-centered, outward-focused, 430-member congregation of the Presbyterian Church (USA), served by Co-Pastors Jan and Phil Butin. The church’s mission statement is: “Called to be a light on the hill, we boldly proclaim and serve Christ, the hope of our changing world.” Currently, the church has a staff of 9, including a part-time Director of Christian Education who also serves United Campus Ministry, a full-time Director of Music Ministries, and a variety of dedicated support staff.
Fayetteville is a young, thriving community of striking natural beauty and an exceptionally low cost of living. It is home to the University of Arkansas; Walton Arts Center and other cultural opportunities; a variety of SEC sports events; and a vibrant night life. The Boston Mountains, the Ozark region, and nearby Beaver Lake provide ample opportunities for outdoor recreation, water sports, and adventure.
Average Attendance: 160 No. of Active Youth: 25
Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministries
First United Presbyterian Church, Fayetteville, Arkansas
Prayerfully initiate, lead, and coordinate dynamic, fun, and Christ-centered ministries that motivate youth and young adults, including college students, to know, love, and serve God through Jesus Christ. Build, train, and support volunteer leadership teams to plan, coordinate and co-lead ministry and outreach to these groups in our church and community.
We’re Praying for a Proactive Leader with:
1. A love for youth, college students, and young adults and a shepherd’s heart.
2. A mature faith consistent with the Reformed Christian tradition and compatible with mainline Christian church ministry, values, and priorities.
3. Personal integrity grounded in truthfulness, transparency, and a solid awareness of appropriate professional ministry boundaries.
4. The personal confidence and warmth to reach out to junior and senior highers, college students, and young adults on their own terms, instilling the desire to participate in church ministries and outreach, and helping them know, love, and serve Jesus.
5. At least 2 years of demonstrated experience as a volunteer, employee, or participant in Christian youth, campus, and/or camping ministry leadership.
6. A serious and sustained commitment to involving youth, college students, and young adults in serving others, through transformative mission outreach in the community and world.
7. Relational and listening skills, interpersonal sensitivity, and the ability to recruit, organize, inspire, engage, and support volunteers.
8. Creative, consistent communication skills, including social media, texting, online newsletters, etc.
9. An enthusiastic sense of humor and fun, combined with a passion for teaching and forming youth, college students, and young adults to be committed followers of Jesus.
10. A sense of call to church ministry, with possible interest in seminary and ongoing ministry formation.
11. As many of the following as possible: music leadership; a background in the performing arts; a love of sports; experience in leading camps, retreats, and outdoor activities; community outreach experience; cross-cultural mission experiences.
12. A bachelor’s degree (required).
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
1. Youth Ministry (approximately 55%)
a. Cultivate nurturing, supportive relationships with all church youth.
b. Build leadership teams of older youth, college students, young adults, parents, and others to broaden the church’s ministry with junior and senior highers.
c. Plan and lead exciting, involving, and spiritually enriching weekly youth gatherings for 7-12th grade students.
d. Model, teach, and encourage Christian faith, worship, and service.
e. Plan and lead youth retreats, camps, conferences, mission trips, and service activities, working with area churches and the Presbytery of Arkansas.
2. College and Young Adult Ministry (approximately 30%)
a. Initiate, build, and deepen supportive ministry relationships with young adults, including college students, to engage them in the church’s worship, life, ministries, outreach, and service.
b. Develop and lead church-based ministry opportunities, local and global mission outreach and service, and small groups with college students and young adults. Recruit volunteer church leaders to broaden these efforts.
c. Be present with United Campus Ministry at the University of Arkansas, collaborating and building relationships with students, and helping students to embrace church participation and leadership.
3. Overall Church Involvement (approximately 15%)
a. Regular leadership and weekly participation in worship (including preaching if desired).
b. service on appropriate church ministry teams.
c. participation and leadership in church family activities.
d. connecting, interacting, and engaging with parents and families of youth and young adults.
Salary and Benefits
Full-time position. Salary $40,000 annually, depending on qualifications and experience. Continuing education ($1500 annually), 10 working days of annual vacation (limited to four Sundays), and a pre-tax, vouchered healthcare allowance of up to $8200 per year (or a retirement benefit) are provided.
Our website is http://www.fupcfay.org. The website is updated constantly, and is a good way to sense how God is at work in and through our congregation.
If you would like to begin discerning with us whether this may be God’s calling for you, please electronically submit a cover letter, resumé, and the names of three or more references familiar with your ministry gifts and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 15, 2021. Inquiries regarding the position may be sent to the same email. The position will begin as soon as possible.
Additional Information on the Web
Fayetteville, Arkansas https://www.experiencefayetteville.com
University of Arkansas www.uark.edu
Walton Arts Center www.waltonartscenter.org
Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art https://crystalbridges.org/
The Ozarks Region http://ozarkmountainregion.com
First United Presbyterian Church Facebook Group: FUPC – A Light on the Hill
Youth Ministry Facebook Group: UPY (United Presbyterian Youth) FUPC Fayetteville
United Campus Ministry Facebook Group: UCM at the U of A
Salary Range: $40,000