Job Type: Full-Time Posted: 5 months ago Denomination: Lutheran (ECLA)
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, a vibrant, youth-focused church in Manchester, Missouri, seeks a full-time Director of Children, Youth and Family Ministry. A suburban church that attracts congregants from the greater St. Louis region with a heart for mission and service, Good Shepherd seeks a candidate called to share their love of Christ with youth and their families. The ideal candidate will bring enthusiasm and creativity to build on our established youth programs. A complete job description can be found here.
We hope to expand this position in the near future, adding another ½ time staff person to either focus on 6th-8th Grade ministry, or partner with the CYF Director and assist across all children, youth and family ministries. We also hope to create a Technology/Audio-Visual position and would be open to various configurations of staffing if candidates interested and gifted in a combination of these ministry areas.
Average Attendance: 468 No. of Active Youth: 60
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church
Director of Children, Youth and Family Ministries
Job Title: Director of Children, Youth and Family Ministry (birth-8th grade)
Reports To: Associate Pastor
Status: Full-Time, Exempt, Benefits
Job Summary: The Director of Children and Family Ministry will shepherd youth and their families from birth through middle school by empowering, supporting and encouraging youth, their families and adult volunteers in learning, faith formation and spiritual growth. The Director will plan, coordinate and oversee activities for children and families that foster Christian community through relationship-building while promoting fun, spiritual development, ministry and outreach involvement opportunities.
Staff Mission Statement: Equipping, encouraging and empowering the people of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church to Follow Christ, Grow in Faith and Share God’s Love.
Children’s Ministry (Birth-5th grade):
• Plan and implement Christian education to promote faith formation for preschool and elementary children and their families. This includes Sunday morning classes (preschool-5th grade) and Wednesday evening Youth Club (elementary youth in 2nd-5th grades).
o Recruit, equip and train volunteer leaders for Sunday School, Wednesday Youth Club, and other events.
• Coordinate seasonal events including: Vacation Bible School, Trunk or Treat, Easter egg hunt, grade level lock-ins and service projects.
• Coordinate faith milestones: First Communion, 3rd grade Bible class, The Lord’s Prayer, etc.
• Outreach and ministry to families with newborns and/or toddlers.
Middle School Ministry (6th-8th grades):
• Plan and implement Christian education to promote faith formation for middle school youth and their families.
o Recruit, equip, and train volunteer leaders for Sunday School, Wednesday Youth Club, and other events.
• Coordinate Wednesday evening middle school ministry (Rise and Confirmation)
o Work with Pastoral Staff to coordinate and teach confirmation.
o Coordinate volunteers to prepare and serve Wednesday meals.
o Coordinate Confirmation banquet and Confirmation Sunday worship.
• Oversee Sunday morning middle school class.
• Schedule and chaperone events, including: lock-ins, summer camp, service events, Youth Quake (weekend retreat), etc.
Other Ministry Areas:
• Recruit, train, empower and equip volunteer leaders.
• Work with volunteers to plan and coordinate monthly Sunday morning Parenting Group and Family Fellowship events.
• Serve as primary staff person for care of members and visitors who have children involved in the programs mentioned above.
• Select curriculum, teaching materials and supplies for Sunday morning and Wednesday evening Youth Ministry programming.
o Specific areas of responsibility include:
o Attention to events and communication that might ease transitional times in the lives of youth and families (post First Communion & Confirmation; middle to high school) AND look for opportunities to make new connections during these transitional years.
o Research and plan service, mission and faith growth opportunities for elementary and middle school youth.
o Coordinate participation in worship Involvement for preschool, elementary and middle school youth.
o Reach out to children, youth, and families if they become inactive.
• Prepare budget and maintain oversight of spending for Children & Family Ministry programming.
• Attend weekly staff meetings.
• All other duties as assigned
Special Skills & Abilities:
• Passion and heartfelt concern for youth and their families along with an ability to motivate leadership as partners in Children & Family Ministry.
• Ability to speak in a public forum.
• Ability to interface with numerous other ministry areas and groups.
• Leadership development: This person must have passion and skill for recruiting and developing leaders in children, youth, and family ministries.
• Organizational and planning skills: This person must be able to be organized enough to delegate and ensure materials and classrooms and prepared.
• Flexibility: Hours, responsibilities, and ministries require flexibility and a joyful spirit. Being able to project positive and encouraging spirit while maintaining a sense of humor!
• Interpersonal relationships and skills development: working together with staff and teams of people developing areas of ministry.
• Vision and purpose:
o Knowledge, understanding and acceptance of Lutheran doctrine.
o Reach out to the community through family education, parent education, invitation to events and classes, etc.
o Awareness and openness to new areas of youth ministry.
o A good sense of how growing and supporting our youth and their families fits with the overall mission of Good Shepherd.
o Personal growth: continue spiritual and professional growth through reading, prayer and education.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred in a related field of learning and faith formation. Five plus years of experience is preferred.
Resumes and Cover letters can be submitted to Pastor Josh Brecht via mail or email.
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church
Pastor Josh Brecht
327 Woods Mill Road
Manchester, MO 63021
Salary Range: $35,000-$41,000