Student Director/Pastor (Full Time)- Madison, MS
Job Type: Full-Time
Denomination: United Methodist
DIRECTOR OF STUDENT MINISTRY
St. Matthew’s United Methodist Church 7427 Old Canton Rd., Madison, MS 39110
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Approved by SPRC September 9, 2018 SUPERVISOR: Associate Pastor
STATUS: Full-Time, Salary – Exempt
Characteristics of Position:
The mission of the Director of Student Ministry is to empower parents and student ministry leaders to create home and church environments where our students can become committed followers of Jesus Christ.
There are three primary responsibility areas: mission, family-based discipleship, and team leadership. These include providing spiritual care and mentorship for Student Ministry volunteers and connecting the Student Ministry to other ministries in the church. It also includes working with the Student Ministry Team to develop and accomplish the goals and vision of Student Ministry here at St. Matthew’s United Methodist Church. Travel will be required at different times throughout the year for mission trips (domestic and international) and retreats.
Knowledges, Skills, and Abilities:
- Clearly demonstrates faith in and a growing relationship with Jesus.
- Understands and embodies the mission, vision, and values of St. Matthew’s UMC.
- Must embrace United Methodist doctrine and theology.
- Enjoys working as a team member, as well as being able to work independently and takeinitiative.
- Must have vision and a demonstrated ability to plan, develop, organize, coordinate,manage, and implement a student ministry.
- Ability and willingness to experiment, make mistakes, and take creative risks.
- Loves students and their families.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills,program planning skills, and computer/technology skills.
- Must possess a proven ability to work effectively with youth, diverse individuals, andteams of volunteers.
- Must be able to receive constructive criticism.
- Ability to have fun and take risks.Competencies:Spiritual Leadership
- Is faithful to their worshiping community with their Prayers, Presence, Gifts, Service, and Witness.
- Seeks to be a servant leader to St. Matthew’s staff and laity.
- Seeks to share their faith in Jesus Christ through word and action.
- Seeks to live a life of integrity and grace.
- Shares the vision and values of St. Matthew’s UMC and its staff.Professionalism
- Undertakes self-development activities.
- Seeks increased responsibilities.
- Uses times effectively.
- Takes responsibility for actions.
- Meets attendance and punctuality guidelines.
- Learns new skills.
- Plans and meets budget.
- Shows overall professional attitude and appearance.Communication and Teamwork
- Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally and/or in written form.
- Demonstrates good listening and comprehension skills.
- Keeps others adequately informed.
- Puts needs of team ahead of own interest.
- Actively participate in staff meetings and conversations.
- Responds to communication from staff and laity in timely manner.Job Knowledge
- Knows and understands the performance outcomes of the job.
- Displays understandings of how the job relates to others.
- Plans and prioritizes tasks to achieve desired results.
- Stays abreast of cutting-edge development related to the job.Responsibilities:
- Develop curriculum for Wednesday Night Live and Sunday evenings for students in grades 7 – 12.
- Be an advocate for our students while raising awareness in the congregation about the hopes, concerns, and needs of students at St. Matthew’s and in the community.
- Create opportunities in the church for the larger church body to interact with and get to know the students at St. Matthew’s.
- Minister not only to the students of St. Matthew’s, but also to their families as they navigate through the trials of parenting teenagers.
- Work with your leaders and the clergy and staff to create opportunities for the students’ parents to be empowered not only to be parents but to be disciples to their children.
- Support the planning and execution of all events that encompass a balanced studentministry in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach.
- Collaborate with your leadership team to ensure that the vision and goals of studentministry are met and reconsidered as needed.
- Empower and mentor students in developing their leadership skills.
- Seek out resources and ideas related to youth ministry––its programming anddiscipleship.
- Create relationships with fellow student ministers in the area.
- Participate in continuing education events and training opportunities.
- Recruit and train volunteers who work with the students in all aspects of student ministryand ensure adequate volunteer support.
- Connect with the local schools and other organizations your students are connected to,creating and fostering relationships between our church and those groups.
- Have a collaborative relationship with the Director of Children’s Ministry, seeking waysto be known, particularly by the sixth graders.
- Work with the Clergy each year in creating the content and schedule for Confirmation.Look for new ways to engage and challenge the confirmands and to engage their parentsin this process.
- Develop a student ministry outreach plan.
- Keep records of student participation (making sure that the attendance is tracked onSunday mornings, Sunday evenings, Wednesday nights, and at other student ministryfunctions).
- Develop and stay within the youth ministry budget, and abide by the church’s financialpolicies and procedures.
- Communicate in a timely manner and as effectively as possible using all availableresources (email, text, website, bulletin, newsletter, social media, bulletin board, etc.).
- Establish and maintain strong communication with church staff and leadership, parents,students, and the congregation as a whole.
- Make yourself available to students in a variety of ways, including but not limited tolunch at school, attendance at extracurricular activities, and visitation in times of crisis.
- Ensure that the child protection policies of St. Matthew’s are observed in all studentministry settings.
- Maintain a meaningful connection with recent high school graduates and the Coordinatorof College Ministries, looking for new ways to remain connected to those graduates, and working with the Clergy and Coordinator of College Ministries to continue to disciple them.
- Attend and participate in worship, as well as have a visible presence in Sunday School for grades seventh through twelve.
- Travel as required for youth mission trips (domestic and international), weekend retreats, and youth activities.
- Supervise other employees as assigned.
- Other duties as required.QUALIFICATIONS:
Education: Bachelor’s degree is a minimum requirement. Professional certification in YouthMinistry is desired.
Experience: Three years’ experience in Christian Education or youth ministry preferred. License/Certification: None required.
- Must be able to talk, hear, stand for prolonged periods, walk, sit, use hands and fingers,and may need to, stoop, kneel and lift up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, andability to adjust focus.
- Some domestic and international travel is required.SignatureDateSt. Matthew’s United Methodist Church provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion (although preference may be given to members of the United Methodist Church or those embracing the United Methodist doctrine, to the extent permissible by law), gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.