Director of Student Ministries (Full Time) – Spring, TX
Faith United Methodist Church - Spring, Texas
Job Type: Full-Time
Denomination: United Methodist
Position Title: Director of Student Ministries Position Type: Fulltime, Salaried
Reports To: Senior Pastor Supervises: None
Lead the people of Faith United Methodist Church of Spring, Texas in student ministries by:
- Directing all student programming at Faith UMC for students in the sixth through twelfth grades, including confirmation.
- Nurturing the spiritual growth of students and their parents.
- Organizing a Sunday morning large group experience and Wednesday evening small group experience for the students.
- Communicating with parents and recruiting adult volunteers.
- Leading annual retreats and mission trips.
- Modeling Christlike character and conduct above all.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Direct all student ministries:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive student ministry program that includes spiritual, educational, and social activities for students in grades six to twelve.
- Ensure ministry content is appropriate for a Christian program in a United Methodist setting.
- Teach the Bible with respect for Christian doctrine and our church’s United Methodist heritage.
- Lead an engaging and relevant confirmation experience for sixth grade students.
- Incorporate the students into the full life of Faith UMC.
- Provide for curriculum, materials, and event planning.
- Supervise volunteers.
- Maintain appropriate boundaries with students, recognizing at all times that students are minors.
- Ensure compliance with the church’s Safe Sanctuary policy at all times.
- Lead weekly gatherings:
- Lead and oversee Sunday morning large group ministry.
- Lead and oversee Wednesday night small group ministry.
- Provide engaging and relevant content to nurture spiritual growth.
- Train volunteers to lead small groups and occasionally teach in large group.
- Communication with families:
- Maintain regular communication with student families through email, text messages, and other appropriate channels to keep them informed about upcoming events and activities.
- Develop an annual calendar of major events and activities and publicize the calendar to the families.
- Publish weekly student ministry announcements through social media and email.
- Lead parent meetings at least twice a year to receive feedback, answer questions, and celebrate the student ministry.
- Volunteer Recruitment and Training:
- Recruit, train, and support volunteers who will assist in various aspects of the student ministry, ensuring a safe and nurturing environment for all participants.
- Lead a Student Ministry Council, composed of parents and volunteers in the student ministry, to assist with volunteer recruitment.
- Train volunteers to lead student small groups.
- Ensure all volunteers are trained in Safe Sanctuary.
- Resource volunteers with curriculum as needed.
- Annual Retreats and Missions Trips:
- Organize and lead annual student retreats and missions trips, providing opportunities for students to deepen their faith and engage in service to others.
- Organize at least two student retreats a year, with each retreat being open to anyone in the student ministry and their friends.
- Organize at least one student mission trip a year, with each retreat being open to anyone in the student ministry and their friends.
- Work with senior pastor to raise funds for trips when necessary.
- Recruit volunteers to staff all trips and meet Safe Sanctuary requirements.
- Desire to help students grow in their faith in Jesus Christ.
- Desire to minister to students and their families.
- Desire to incorporate the student ministry into the full life of the church.
- Willingness to serve in a United Methodist ministry setting.
- At least 3 years of experience in student ministry or a related field.
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills.
- Proficient in communicating with parents through email and text messages.
- Demonstrates the highest Christian character, serving as a positive role model for students.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Familiarity with United Methodist doctrine and teachings.
- Experience in event planning and coordination.
- Ability to lead a student praise band.