Director of Next Generation: Students (Full Time) – Toms Rivers, NJ
Job Type: Full-Time
Denomination: Presbyterian Church (USA)
We exist to connect people to full life in Jesus.
What does full life look like?
Full life means thriving. It means every facet of our lives is flourishing. Our relationship with God, our relationships with one another, with our neighbors, even how we see ourselves — everything is transformed radically. A full life is overflowing with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and yes, even self-control. It’s a life of belonging. It’s a life of meaning. It’s the life we long for, and it’s the life that God wants to give us as a gift through Jesus Christ.
What matters most to us?
The Gospel. Everything we do is grounded in the good news that Jesus paid the price of our sin so that we could be forgiven. We are saved by the grace of God through Jesus and that message of hope, of redemption, of belonging, of purpose, of pure love, is at the core of everything we do.
We value family. God has brought us together as an intergenerational family of believers and seekers. As a growing family, we care for one another. We strive to create opportunities to foster friendship and connections. We provide support for one another in times of grief and struggle. We celebrate together. We learn together. We worship together. We serve together. We have fun together.
We value learning. You need to get to know someone to build a strong relationship with them, and that includes Jesus. The message shared each week in worship, the small groups that gather, and other opportunities in the life of the church are built to help us learn more about Jesus and the plan God has for us.
We value service. Jesus came to serve, not to be served. In following his example, we seek opportunities to use our skills and abilities and our resources to serve our community. We go and serve together locally in Toms River and the surrounding area, as well as out in the broader world community.
We value the next generation. Everyone needs to know Jesus. We support and encourage families, children (0-5th grade), and students (grade 6-12) as they seek full life in Jesus together.
How can you get connected to full life in Jesus?
Cultivating the sort of relationship with Jesus that yields full life is rooted in community – more specifically, a community that is striving to know Jesus. For us, this journey means we gather to worship, we grow in groups, and we go and serve together.
Purpose: To connect middle and high school students and their families to full life in Jesus Christ.
Qualities: Passionate disciple of Jesus Christ, forms meaningful relationships with people of various ages, self-starter, empowering leader, understands youth culture and needs, compellingly proclaims the gospel, organized and effective communicator.
Qualifications: Next Generation Ministry experience required. Minimum of bachelor’s degree required. This is a non-ordained position.
Accountability: Serves directly with Youth Ministry Commission and collaboratively with Children’s Ministry Commission. Reports directly to the Senior
Pastor/Head of Staff for support and accountability.
Position Overview: This position primarily focuses on ministry with and to students and families from middle and high school with strategic priority on helping them:
- Gather to Worship
- Grow in Groups
- Go and Serve
This position will also include student and family ministry initiatives with students and families from elementary school with the following priorities:
- “Bridge the Gap” between elementary and middle school
- Help older students develop patterns of service, discipleship, and mentoring with younger students
Responsibilities: The ideal candidate will bring a unique mix of gifts and passions that will shape this position’s initiatives. The responsibilities of this position include the following:
Middle and High School
- Work with Youth Commission to implement PCTR mission
framework, setting appropriate strategic goals.
- Manage current ministry offerings including:
Weekly Small Groups
Monthly Fun and Fellowship Activities
Monthly “Beyond Youth” (joint worship and games
with other youth groups)
Summer Camp and Mission Trips
Fundraising Activities in support of mission trips
- Recruit and empower adult leaders for active participation in youth ministry.
- Develop supportive relationships with leaders, students, and their families by engaging in contact work outside of regular programs aimed at faith development, care, and support.
- Partner with pastors and Youth Commission to design and implement annual Confirmation experience to help students explore foundations of faith and consider church membership.
- Working with the Youth Commission, develop and manage the budget for Youth and Family Ministries.
- Collaborate with the Children’s Commission and the Director of Children’s Ministry.
- Work with Children’s and Adult Discipleship Commissions to explore and develop innovative ways to partner with parents in discipleship of their students.
- Participate in worship regularly at PCTR.
- Assist with leadership in worship, as assigned.
- Participate in staff meetings as required
- Work with staff to develop inter-generational ministries: connecting and fostering relationships between children, youth, young adults, and adults.
- Other duties as necessary or assigned by Head of Staff
Schedule: This is a full-time salaried position with benefits.
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Toms River, NJ 08753: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
Work Location: In person