Associate for Young Adult and Youth Ministries (Full Time)- Washington, DC
Job Type: Full-Time
Denomination: Presbyterian Church (USA)
National Presbyterian Church exists to lead people to become faithful followers of Jesus Christ together in God’s World. NPC is located in northwest Washington, DC, near multiple universities, and in an area with a growing number of young families and young professionals.
The Associate for Young Adult and Youth Ministries has a heart for reaching young adults and youth with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This position will be responsible for the innovation and development of a sustainable model for the outreach and discipleship of young professionals at National Presbyterian Church.
This position will also support the weekly youth programs (Sunday School, youth group) and special events (retreats, service events, etc), through the relational outreach and connection aspect of the Youth Ministry.
The Associate for Young Adult and Youth Ministries works under the supervision of the Director of Youth and Family Ministry in accordance with all stated policies of the Church and to advance the overall mission of NPC, as part of the Church’s ministry vision and strategic plan.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The Associate for Youth and Young Adult Ministry will take on various degrees of leadership in the following areas:
- Young Adult Ministry:
- Developing relationships with the young adults who currently worship at National Presbyterian Church.
- Serving as a welcoming point of contact for new young adults who visit National Presbyterian Church.
- Developing a sustainable programmatic model to engage young adults in Christian fellowship and discipleship.
- Planning and executing Young Adult ministry events, camps, and retreats.
- Developing and leading a young adult leadership team.
- Managing the Young Adult ministry budget.
- Youth Ministry:
- Developing discipleship relationships with youth and building relationships with families.
- Developing a connection plan, to ensure that every youth is contacted at least twice/year.
- Supporting weekly Sunday School and Youth Group.
- Assisting with planning and preparation for special events, including fall retreats, overnights, summer trips, etc.
The Associate for Young Adult and Youth Ministries will also participate in the following activities:
- Ministry staff and committee meetings
- Other duties as assigned by the Ministry Directors
- Regular personal spiritual practices (e.g., Bible reading, prayer, etc.).
- A Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent ministry experience.
- A maturing, personal relationship with Jesus Christ, showing continuing spiritual growth, moral and emotional strength, obedience to Biblical principles, and a demonstrated love for Jesus Christ and the church.
- Adherence to NPC’s Youth and Children Leadership Covenant and the ability to sign NPC’s Biblical Standards for Leaders statement.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for working with youth and young adults, with a willing spirit to serve and be used by God in the lives of youth.
- Demonstrated willingness to learn, to be mentored and taught, and to improve leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and lead Bible studies, fellowship activities, and work projects.
- Good skills in listening and oral communication.
- Demonstrated ability to manage responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work creatively, cooperatively, and collegially with staff, parishioners, volunteers, and as a team member.
- Ability to pass appropriate pre-employment background checks to the Church’s satisfaction.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform successfully the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, and hear. The employee is frequently required to climb stairs and to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee may sometimes be required to drive an automobile and is frequently required to stand, walk, and participate in sports or similar type physical activities. The employee is frequently required to carry documents or items from one building to another on the grounds of the Church.
- Experience mentoring or leading groups of youth, particularly adolescent boys.
- Experience leading Bible studies or other fellowship groups with peers or young adults.
- Familiarity with the PC(USA) and/or the Reformed theological tradition.
- Innovative and self-starting work ethic.
To apply, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter
- List of 3 references